Monday, January 27, 2020

Investigations- Confidences: Carried out by Camerounweb revealed the film of the assassination of Me Sylvain Souop

On January 16, 2020, Me Sylvain Souop bowed out under conditions that many people considered mysterious. More than a week after his death, whistleblower Boris Bertolt outlined the details of his death. A post he titled "Cash to Investigation: THE FILM OF THE DEATH OF Me SOUOP SYLVAIN" that the Cameroonweb editorial team offers you to read.

He was only 53 years old. Hardworking, rigorous, enterprising, brilliant, affable, respectful. What praise to describe Me Sylvain SOUOP. This tenor of the Cameroon bar died of illness on January 16, 2020. News that has shaken the community of lawyers, magistrates, the political class, and public opinion in general. How can you die from a broken arm? This is the question that torments the minds. Two investigations have been launched to shed light on this tragedy. An investigation by the National Order of Doctors of Cameroon and the Administrative Inquiry ordered by the Minister of Health, Manaouda Malachie. This administrative commission is headed by Dr Zoa, Inspector General of Services at the Ministry of Health. The DAG, Me Boukar also director of legal affairs at MINSANTE, and includes two anesthesiologists, Professor Essiene and Professor Owono. The administrative investigation has been completed and is expected to be made public this week. Cash Investigation also sought to find out what really happened and what the government may want to hide in what should be called: the Sylvain SOUOP case. 


On Saturday January 11, 2020, Me SOUOP returns from the mourning of a friend who is close to him when he has an accident at the entrance of the town of Bafoussam. For the occasion, he is accompanied by his wife, Ms. SOUOP, collaborator of Haman Mana and his colleague Me Temate. 

Following the accident, he was first transported to the regional hospital in Bafoussam where he received first aid. He has a broken right arm. However, Me SOUOP is serene, smiling and responds to phone calls to allay the fears of his friends and family members. Residing in Yaoundé, he decides in agreement with the attending physician to be transferred to Yaoundé. It will be around 5.30 p.m. that he will then be admitted to the emergency center of the central hospital in Yaoundé. 

However, leaving Bafoussam for Yaoundé, he was not given a transfer sheet. An administrative document in the health care setting allowing authorization to transport a patient from one hospital to another. The transfer form which was to draw up the patient's condition, as well as the first reports was to be delivered to Bafoussam. It was not the case. Nevertheless, despite his fracture, Me SOUOP arrives at the Emergency Center in a state that does not appear to him or to those of his disturbing family. Moreover, they believe they can distribute very quickly to resume with its multiple files pending before the courts. 


At the emergency center, he will be looked after by a surgeon who examines him. The results of the analyzes show a fracture in the humerus which requires an operation. Informed of the situation, Me SOUOP does not object to the operation as well as his family. But doctors also detect during exams this Saturday, high blood pressure. According to doctors, some people may have high blood pressure and live with it without ever realizing it. Fortunately at this moment for Me SOUOP, her hypertension has just been discovered. 

The doctor will give the family a prescription. The surgical operation is scheduled for Monday morning at 6 a.m. Master SOUOP must therefore spend almost 48 hours in the hospital. The anesthesia department takes over to prepare for Monday's operation. A service composed of the anesthesiologist and nurses who take turns as far as it is a daycare system. 

The medical prescriptions having been made, the anesthesiologist is informed of the situation. But she is not in the hospital this Saturday and will not pick up the patient's news. Instructions are given to nurses by telephone. Sunday will end without Me SOUOP being able to meet the anesthesiologist in person. Only the nurses take turns to prepare for his operation, which must take place Monday morning at 6 a.m. This Sunday evening, after the usual visits, Me SOUOP falls asleep peacefully. The operation is in a few hours. 


Monday morning 6 am the team of surgeons is in place in the operating room and awaits the patient. The anesthetist is still not there. However, at this stage, he must be able to assess the patient and determine if there are additional examinations to be performed. The nurse anesthetists reassure that the prescription has been respected. The anesthetist always on the phone gives the order to bring the patient down without checks. Me Sylvain SOUOP is therefore transported to the operating room. 

The surgical team, which includes nearly ten people, is waiting for him. The nurses first administered medication to allow her body to relax before the sleep process. When the nurses decide to put her to sleep, Me SOUOP finds it difficult to sleep. The first concerns appear. He does not respond favorably to anesthesia. The anesthesiologist is called urgently. She is not yet in the hospital. We are at more than 7 a.m. She shows up around 7h20mn.


The various efforts of the team to put Me SOUOP to sleep are in vain. Blow of theater: Me SOUOP Sylvain has a cardiac arrest. Her heart stops beating. General panic in the operating room. The resuscitation procedure is immediately started. Second problem: one of the operating room devices does not work. Incredible but true. It is a scop. The parameters monitor supposed to take the patient's constants when he is asleep. How is it possible? It is directly changed. The doctors inject Me SOUOP with adrenaline so that his heart starts to beat again. After 8 minutes he comes back to life. At this moment the medical team believes to have avoided the worst. 

The surgery is canceled. The patient is given new tests. When Me SOUOP's state stabilizes, he is sent to intensive care. The goal is to allow him to recover. Brain scanners are performed. He is now in intensive care and in the hands of anesthesiologists who administer his care. 

On treatment since Monday morning, after a failed surgery where he had almost died, he died three days later. Or Thursday, January 16, 2020. But since Monday, he has lost all contact, including with his loved ones, who almost no longer manage to approach him. 

Thus ends this issue of Cash Investigation on this tragedy which accounts for the faults of the health system in Cameroon.