Friday, January 10, 2020

Anglophone Crisis: Paul Biya buries his tongue in front of diplomats

The tone has changed. Paul Biya is unrecognizable. The "general goes to war" who promised in his speech to the nation on December 31, 2019, a military solution to the English-speaking crisis coalesces before diplomats accredited to Cameroon. During the ceremony of presentation of the wishes, Paul Biya flew over the English-speaking crisis by recalling the paficic measures taken by his government in particular the organization of the great national dialogue. The President of the Republic refrained from mentioning the previously announced military measures.

"With regard to the problems in our North-West and South-West regions, various measures have been taken to envisage, objectively and in the short term, a definitive return to peace. The Grand National Dialogue made it possible to formulate recommendations, some of which are in the early stages of implementation, with the laws recently adopted by Parliament. Thus, our two regions of North West and South West benefit, within the framework of our Republic, of a special statute answering amply to the aspirations of our fellow citizens who live there. "Said Paul Biya. 

As a reminder, on December 31 Paul Biya had sent a thinly veiled threat to the separatist groups in the North-West and South-West regions.

"For those who persist in staying on the wrong track and who continue to use violence, we will have no choice but to fight them to protect all of our fellow citizens. Our defense and security forces will once again do their duty with moderation, but without weakness. Here I want to assure them of my full support and my high consideration, ”he said. 

The English-speaking crisis has left more than 12,000 people dead and hundreds of thousands displaced.


Source: Cameroonweb.com